Trend watch: Watercolour

3:03 AM

So this is a new thing I'd like to do.. There are some things I'd love to mention, but I'm worried it would make my nail art posts too long. So instead, I've made a new section to talk about trends and things that's happening in the nail art scene. Before I sound too legit for my liking, bear in mind that I'm writing this as a fellow nail art enthusiast, and I don't claim to be an expert in any way - I just like sharing my favourite things with you.

And as the title suggests, today's trend watch is about the watercolour effect. Not as over-done as the galaxy nails, but it's one of those techniques that people claim "You can't screw up!" but I'm pretty sure it could go very wrong. As I've still got gelish on my nails and not enough free time to remove them and have them done immediately after (I can't go out with naked nails!), I'll post this before I attempt to try the technique out for myself. 


Main inspiration picture is this one here:


Source: Will Paint Nails for Food

My sister sent it to me on whatsapp and I was like I NEED TO SHOW THIS TO PEOPLE. Most usually use the watercolour technique to fill the whole nail and give it a splotchy canvasy type of look (you know what I'm talking about), but Meghan draws adorable daisies instead. Plus the little blue highlights at the edges of the nail make the white space less harsh, making it really look like she stuck someone's watercolour painting on her nails. Overall I was like NEEEEEEED THIS. Gorg gorg gorg.

And then there's this beauty:


Source: Nail Common
This time it's on gelish, and I'm also guessing that they put layers of top coat between patches to make it look like they're on top of each other. Gives it more depth that way, instead of the layers looking ultra flat like Meghan's. Somehow I'd imagine this as a good wedding manicure - it's got that great mix of delicate and timeless. Plus the little patches of glitter which you almost miss makes it look so ethereal. Crazy pretty. Can't even. 

And of course, there's this:

Source: Chalkboard Nails
Smoke. Seriously. It's smoke. Super timely since it's Halloween soon, and even if it wasn't I'd want this on my nails. She's got a tutorial going as well, which takes you through the whole process. If you ain't got time to watch it, here's a light breakdown:

  1. Get your base coat and black colour done, then seal it with good top coat
  2. Draw horizontal streaks of white across your nail (one nail at a time, please!)
  3. Dip a brush in 100% acetone and rub lightly on the white polish, making the colour thin and spread out
  4. Apply till you're happy
Amazingly simple for something that looks so complex. It's the same method if you want a manicure like Nail Common's, only you drop the coloured polish in dots and use the brush with acetone to thin it out.

Also, you can do the same with acrylic paint and water, in place of polish and acetone. That way there's lesser chances of you screwing up your base colour if you put too much acetone. 

Hopefully I've got time to spare during the weekend, and then I'll try it out for myself. 

Till then, toodles!


You Might Also Like

0 comments