Adventures in gelish

8:48 PM

Man, I've missed you guys. Since I don't understand the concept of free time any more, I'm going to challenge myself to blog once a week again (crazy, I know!). If I don't have time to do my nails, I'll be talking about manicures out there that I'm crazy about. The list is exhaustive, so I figured it wouldn't be hard to start.. I'm a huge fangirl when it comes to other professional and casual manicurists out there *giggles.

But for now, I want to show you the first nail art I've ever done using gelish! Went over to Alicia's house to attack her dogs (and get attacked back) and also try my hand at this gelish thingy. I've been pretty resistant to learning gelish mostly because of the money it would involve in building a collection of colours as wide as my normal polishes. But of course, gelish is the international standard of manicures now. Personally, I have no need for gelish because I get tired of my own nail art pretty quickly, so I enjoy something easily removable. I can't claim to offer gelish manicures yet, but perhaps before the year is out, I'll have a good enough collection to do so!

But in the meantime, here's Alicia's manicure:


More than a year ago, I did her nails with normal polish. Click here to view it. Whenever I look at old manicures I did, I cringe a little. I mean, that brushwork is terrible and I apologise ): But what I really want to point out is how gelish helped her nails to grow out without breakage. I laughed for a good whole minute when she said "MY LEAVES CAN HAVE DETAIL?!". I mean, check out how long it is now:


Unfortunately, I assumed painting with acrylic paint over the gelish base would work fine, but it peeled off easily. On hindsight, it makes sense since the acrylic doesn't actually cure and stick to the gelish proper.. I was just silly hahahaha. 

Thoughts on using gelish for the first time: It didn't take as long as I thought it would! Especially good for people who tend to mess their manicure midway. The curing of each layer of gelish takes 1.5mins, and I did the entire manicure in about half an hour. Of course, the next time I paint, I'll be using proper gelish colours... 

As a side note, I did my own nails before I did Alicia's and I was not used to how quickly it dried. I was picking up brushes very slowly and she'd be yelling at me about how it's already completely dried. My brain was like NO NOT DRY HOW CAN. But yeah, it was pretty awesome...

Not proud of this, but then again I did everything under 15mins. The heart's all off centered, but then again so are our real hearts. Much deep.



And that's all I wanted to show you! Gonna head off to class now.. I was supposed to be using this break to study but I thought hey, I miss this blog. 

Toodles.

You Might Also Like

0 comments