All things shiny

5:11 AM

Was picking out a new polish and I decided to get one from China Glaze's Hologram Collection, because you can never have enough of holo polish, really. I got Omg a UFO, a nice olive shade, although it looked pretty unassuming in the bottle. My other holo, Fishwife by Butter London, has a much more obvious holo effect even in the bottle, so I had doubts on how much shimmer this polish would have.

Turns out, this shade is fabulous. True to holo polish, when in direct sunlight, you can see the shine split to red, yellow and blue. In the shade, the shimmer is much more subtle, but it's a nice shade anyway so I love it.

The consistency put me off at first. I started by trying to paint thin coats (like I usually do with other polishes) but the polish kept running as I painted it on, leaving huge blotches. When I tried doing thicker coats, it worked perfectly. A tip is to refrain from painting the same part of the nail twice between coats - you want to paint from left to right instead. Let each coat dry through before painting another coat on, because the polish will just slide all over and you get naked spots again. 

It may sound odd, but painting from left to right solves all the problems for this polish. You won't get streaks if you use that technique too. I only needed 2 coats to get it to a solid colour, but I added a third slightly thinner coat because I like to make sure. Then I added Seche Vite top coat. 

Now for the pictures. 








This is how the polish looks like in the shade/artificial light:


I then painted a simple gradient on my left hand with MAC's Screaming Bright, a champagne gold shimmer. 

    
I may pick up more shades from this collection, perhaps a warmer shade this time. Do you like holo too?

You Might Also Like

0 comments