Top on my wishlist

6:35 AM


I've got to be honest. I've been distracted by flakie nail polish the whole day. I mean just look at this picture.

Picture from X, she used Colour Club's famous Shattered Glass. Absolutely beautiful blog, by the way.
Flakie nail polish is a type of glitter top coat that has irregular, well, flakes of iridescent awesomeness. Each brand of nail polish has flakies that shine differently, but all of them look absolutely amazing.

It's like unicorns gathered their tears, crystallized them, pounded them into little flakes, and decided that it'd look good in polish. Yes, that's how strongly I feel for this top coat. Since I'm trying my best to keep to my savings plan, I'm refraining from hopping on eBay and grabbing it right now. 

So for the rest of the day, I decided to find me some great dupes. Just about every popular polish brand carries a flakie, and I gathered a list of my favourites for your viewing pleasure. Yes, I do not own any of them at the moment, but that's the beauty of lists - don't take my word for it, go forth, hunt them down, and try them out for yourself!

To be honest, these flakies are hard to come by in Singapore, so it's hard to give you a price estimate too. But for comparison (and convenience) sake, I've included links to these polishes on eBay.


My Favourite Flakies to Gawk At
In no particular order:

Colour Club - Covered in Diamonds. Source [x]
Yes, it's Colour Club again. Well, when it comes to iridescence and holographic shades, there really isn't any other brand that does them quite as well as Colour Club does, in my opinion. 3 coats and that's what you get. They remind me of the inside of an oyster shell. Colour Club isn't sold in any physical stores in Singapore, but I have seen flea markets sell some shades in the holo line. What a shame! If you're looking for this bottle, I suggest you hop online instead.

Nicole by OPI - Heavenly Angel. Source [x]
OPI wasn't going to get left behind in the flakie trend. Nicole by OPI is Selena Gomez's collection, and you can find quite a few shades in Watsons. However, I have never seen Heavenly Angel on the racks - if I had, I would've bought it. Look online instead. This is 2 coats, and it looks pretty identical to Covered in Diamonds. Plus I just love the bottle shape.

Chi Chi - Crystal Top Coat. Source [x]
Chi Chi is an Australian brand that I wish we had here. They also have a great gold glitter polish that's a flakie as well. I love how it looks so average while in the bottle. These flakies are finer, giving it a more natural look in comparison to the other flakies that look more artificial. You can get this straight from their site.

China Glaze - Luxe & Lush. Source [x]
This is prolly the most well known flakie. Seems like everyone has this except me. I prefer this sheen because of its warm tones. The flakie is pretty fine as well - makes for application that much easier. Most of the trouble that comes from applying flakies is from getting them to spread nicely, it seems. I'll lay my hands on this and tell you for myself if this one has that problem. The flea markets I know that stock China Glaze don't seem to carry this bottle either, though I have told the staff about it. Maybe they'll bring in some... In the meantime, you could always go here

Nfu-Oh - 39. Source [x]
Now that's fine. I have never seen Nfu-Oh being sold in shops anywhere in Singapore (hey smoochiezz, you need this!), and it's a shame because they've got some surreal colours. If Colour Club is the King of Holo, then Nfu-Oh has got to be the Queen of Shimmer. It's a Korean brand that doesn't seem to have its own online store at the moment. Well there's always eBay. Most of their colours do involve healthy amounts of flakies, which gives it a crazy dimension. So beautiful I could wear it on its own. Mhmm.

Lacquistry - Shredded Silver Holo. Source [x]
Look, it's a handmade polish! This is definitely on my wishlist too, though this bottle seems to be out of stock. Lacquerista also makes other pretty glitters, definitely worth a visit. What's better than supporting independent nail polish creators? 

So I came to a realisation that I could prolly make my own flakie polish, and it got me even more excited. Yep. Just settled on my weekend project. Plus a video tutorial is long overdue. I keep recording tutorials but the scrapping the idea because it isn't captivating enough. Flakie would be an interesting watch, I hope!

In other news, wiredforfreedom makes pretty accessories and guess what I found.


Too much?

You Might Also Like

0 comments