Opaline

5:08 AM




My favourite precious stone by far is the Opal. Super inspired by this post, though I used a different technique to get an opaline effect (and her version is absolutely beautiful. I will be attempting to paint it the way she did soon!) I wanted a shine that was more muted, so I sponged on 4 colours, added glitter, and ended with tons of Sally Hansen's Brilliant Blush. 


Brilliant Blush gave my nails a smooth, pinkish sheen that I just couldn't capture on camera, but I love the effect. All the pictures on top is of my right hand - it's got stronger colours and a smaller amount of Brilliant Blush. But a certain sister told me it reminded her of the rainbow paddle pops ice cream, and now I can't unsee it (hahah!), so for the left hand I made it even more muted. I made the colours blend to each other more, and added more Brilliant Blush. The result is a smoother, more serene look. Then, I finished off with top coat and added a small gem at the top. Perfect.

Here's the complete list of colours & materials I used. Sorry the base & top coat aren't in a convenient order heheh..


  1. OPI Original Nail Envy - I always apply 2 coats of these. Don't forget to cover the tip & underside of your nail too
  2. Fuso No. 9 - I applied 2 coats of white, allowed them to dry, then started sponging on the colours
  3. FaceShops GR501 - the mint shade
  4. Colour Combo CBL109 - the translucent, pink shade
  5. FaceShop YL702 - the yellow (I used minuscule amounts of this, but it still shone through)
  6. Fuso No. 91 - the transparent, blue shade
  7. Colour Combo CTW502 - the glitter I used
  8. Sally Hansen Brilliant Blush - the colour I used to give my nails a pinkish sheen
  9. Seche Vite Top Coat - the only top coat I'll ever use
0 - my handy dandy makeup sponge

Though I love how my nails turned out, I'm super psyched to make a better version - one that's as close to reality as I can get it. I do want to grab some of Essie's Luxeffects to finish off the look though.. Let's see if I can lay my hands on some before the end of the week! Whether I have it or not, I will definitely be making this my next tutorial. I can do this!

In the meantime, here are some more pictures of the design.





Relatively free this week, so I've started planning for my new tutorial. Thanks for reading (:

You Might Also Like

0 comments