The Valentine Nail

5:24 AM



All of my tutorial titles are grammatically incorrect and it's beginning to annoy me, but I still kinda like the format; "The ___ Nail". Hmm..

Yes, Valentine's Day is in 2 days. This is another design that's been in my head for awhile, but I never used it because I thought it'd be too thick to look good. The idea was to use the Gem Crush polishes to create a stained glass effect, and finish the look off with a black nail art pen. As you know, glitter polishes always require at least 2 coats to get the nail completely covered with glitter. If you used just 1 coat, there will be spaces between the glitter, and that would be sad. In the end, I'd say my nails aren't that thick. The secret is to let the first coat of glitter dry completely before adding a second layer. That way, it will be thinner.

In the end, it turned out just the way I imagined it, so I'm pretty pleased. Plus, the base colour that I used is absolutely gorgeous. It's Sally Hansen's Peachy Keen (I also used it as the base colour for Shelley's manicure). It goes well with my dark skin because it's not too pale, that's why I adore this shade.

I mean, just look at it.



Too perfect.

Alright more on the tutorial. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm still learning how to draw perfect hearts - I draw one perfect side then mess up the other. all. the. time. But it seemed a shame to not use the Gem Crush collection (from Sally Hansen as well), and this is a pretty subdued way to add shine to a manicure. Kinda seems sad to make a heart look so shattered up this close to Valentine's though.. It's not my intention, I promise!

If you're going to try out this manicure, as I always say, be patient. On top of that, be prepared to put a pretty think layer of top coat. I'm pretty used to it since I always put healthy amounts of Seche Vite on all of my designs anyway. I know 2 thin layers are better than 1, but for top coats, sometimes you just want to get it all sealed in one huge stroke and be done with it. It's always awesome to get your top coat on over glitter polish and see it shine a bajillion times brighter.

Another tip I can give is to give your nails a rounded tip. I usually wear mine square, but a rounded tip makes the design much softer - and prettier of course. For the first time in what seems like forever, I filed my nails round, and I must say I like the change. They make my nails look longer without there actually being too much hang over. Mama's a happy girl.

Alright here's the tutorial:


Stuff I used:


Alright that's it for me, tell me what you think!

You Might Also Like

0 comments