The Larimar

11:38 AM

As long as there are new semi-precious stones to look at, I'm sure I'll never run out of ideas for my nail designs. I found the Larimar while surfing on Pintrest, and wanted to give it a try. Someone please explain to me how they captured the ocean in a stone?!?! It's crazy beautiful!!

It's a semi-precious stone found only in the Dominican Republic, and it's a photosensitive fella which loses it's blue tone when exposed to a bright light, or heat. Which also means that I can't possibly own a Larimar bracelet as long as I live in Singapore. Buu!

After picking out a few reference pictures (which took so long, because I kept getting distracted by shinies), here's what I came up with:


The entire process was relatively long, mostly because I tried my best to mimic the colours I see in the reference pictures. Here's a quick breakdown of the process:



1. Shape your nails and paint a protective layer of base coat (Base Coat Abricot, Dior)
2. Sponge on desired colours with acrylic paint, making sure they overlap. Leave some empty spaces to give it dimension


3. Use a thin brush with white acrylic to draw the cracks
4. With a flat, dry brush, shade along the lines in an outward fashion to make the cracks look deep



5. Add flakies to give it shine, and give the appearance of a faceted stone
Seal with a top coat (Seche Vite)

And here's a closeup:


I really need to work on my use of flakies.. I've had a box of multicoloured flakies (Born Pretty Store) for the longest time, but I haven't used it till now. I'm not that confident when it comes to studs, gems, and flakies, but I think I just need more practice. 

What dyou think of my latest semi-precious stone look? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments