The Ruffian

8:38 AM

It's not work when you're with friends, right? That's how I feel whenever I do my friend's nails. It feels more like I'm hanging out with some great people and I just happen to be doing their nails at the same time. 

In preparation for CNY, I got to do a few of my friends' nails, and I'll be putting pictures up here according to whose I did first. Creepy as it may sound, I wouldn't be surprised if you recognize these hands by now. First up, Janice!


You won't believe what we had to do to get these done. At about midnight one night, we were outside a macdonalds painting nails by the light of my handphone. Yes, we were that desperate. But the results were totally worth it.


These were inspired by a manicure Madeline Poole did, and it features a ruffian manicure with 2 colours instead of the usual 1 colour that most are familiar with. Here's a rough guide of what I did:

  1. Shape and prep your nail with base coat. 
  2. Place a french tip guide near the top of your nail, leaving a little space away from the cuticles. 
  3. Working on one nail at a time, paint the colours in. Don't worry if you paint over the stickers, because you'll need to remove them immediately after painting the colours.
  4. Once the colour on top has dried, fill in the rest of the nail with a neutral colour

Originally, I had refered to this tutorial by Birchbox on how to do the ruffian manicure. However, I'm not a fan of letting polish dry before removing the sticker, like what's suggested in the video. Instead I worked on one nail at a time, and removed each sticker the moment I finish painting the colours on. On hindsight, I'd rather paint on the neutral brown base colour first, instead of colouring it in after doing the ruffian at the top of the nail. It'll make for a cleaner distinction between the 3 colours. 

That said, I can't wait to pick up more French tip guides from that nail polish shop in Scape mall. It only costs a dollar for a whole set of stickers, which makes me happy. Once I pick up a new set, I should post it up here. 

And that's it for now! Expect more pictures in the coming days...

You Might Also Like

0 comments